- 2 medium Zucchini, washed and unpeeled
- 1 bunch Basil, washed and stems removed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil (for the pesto) + 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (for roasting)
- 1 package Grape Tomatoes, left whole
- 2 large Portabello Mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- (optional) Parmesean Cheese
- Spiralize your zucchini……….if you don’t have a spiralizer, you can use a peeler to create thin ribbons OR use a very sharp knife to cut thin strips. (I use the Joyce Chen spiralizer, available on Amazon.com) – Set aside
- Prepare your pesto…….place the basil leaves and garlic into your food processor or blender and process. With the machine running pour the 1/2 cup olive oil through the feed until a thick pesto forms. Add salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Roast your vegetables…….Place the grape tomatoes and mushrooms on a large sheet pan (make sure its spacious, if the vegetables are crowded they’ll end up steaming not roasting) Mix them with the 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and Salt and Pepper, mix and place in a PREHEATED 450 degree oven about 8 minutes…..make sure to mix throughout. When the tomato skin is slightly wrinkled the vegetables are ready. Go immediately to Step 4!
- Put it all together……Mix the pesto, spiralized zucchini and hot roasted vegetables together and serve immediately – the heat from the roasted vegetables will take the edge off the raw zucchini without actually wilting it completely. **Optional: Top with shaved parmesean cheese.