– 4 Whole Grain Tortillas
– 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
– 1lb lean Ground Beef
– 1 yellow Onion, diced
– 2 cloves Garlic, minced
– 1 Tablespoon Cumin
– 1 teaspoon Paprika
– Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
– 1/2 cup water
– 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
– (optional) 1/2 teaspoon Chili Flakes
– Handful Cilantro, chopped
– 1 Plum Tomato, diced
– 1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
– (optional) Hot Sauce
– (optional) Wedges of Lime
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees……when heated through, invert a bowl into an oven safe tray and drape the tortilla over it – cresting an upside down bowl of the tortilla. Repeat this for all 4 tortillas. Allow the tortillas to toast this way until slightly blistered – about 6-8 minutes (depending on your oven). Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the bowls.
2) Sautee the onion in the olive oil until translucent – about 5 minutes.
3) Add the ground beef and spices and mix well. Allow the beef to cook through and brown a bit, mincing it with a fork throughout the cooking process. This should take about 8-10 minutes. (Cook until all liquid has evaporated but beef isn’t dried out or sticking to the bottom of the pan)
*If using the chili flakes add them at this point.
4) In a small bowl mix the corn starch with the water until dissolved then add it to the beef mixture and mix well. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer 15 minutes.
5) Turn bowls and tortillas upright – place the tortillas in the bowl for serving to guarantee it maintains its shape.
6) Spoon the beef mixture into each tortilla bowl using a slotted spoon so any remaining liquid is left in the pan (otherwise tortillas may get soggy)
7) Top each tortilla bowl with the assorted garnish – sliced red onion, cilantro, and/or diced tomato.
Serve with hot sauce – or for those who enjoy a milder tortilla bowl, with a wedge of lime.